Once you begin thinking about moving to independent living, you’ll want to make sure you’re asking the right questions that will help you choose a community that’s perfect for you. Charles E. Smith Life Communities has put together some independent living questions you can use to assess and carefully consider what living options will help you live your best, vibrant, active retirement.
Where would you like to live?
First and foremost, where would you like to live? Knowing your desired location will help narrow down your options considerably. When you know where you’d like to spend your golden years, start by looking around at all the communities available in the area. Then, determine what sort of atmosphere would make the perfect home for you. Do you prefer an urban or rural setting? Do you want to be close enough to walk to shopping, dining and entertainment? Charles E. Smith Life Communities offers the best of both worlds, boasting a beautiful 38-acre campus in Rockville, MD, just minutes away from the best that Washington, D.C. has to offer.
What are the community residents like?
Once you’ve found a few promising communities, it’s time to delve deeper into the lifestyle available there. Knowing the community demographics will help you determine whether or not the community is the right fit for you. One of the benefits of moving to a senior living community is making new friends in your same stage of life. Do a little research on what type of people have chosen to live at each particular community to see what group best matches your interests, personality, etc.
What is the dining experience like?
While most independent living residences offer personal kitchens so residents can cook their own meals if desired, many residents enjoy the freedom and variety that is offered by an on-site culinary staff. At Charles E. Smith Life Communities, our chefs collaborate with an onsite dietitian to create healthy, kosher menus that please the palate and provide opportunities for residents to connect and break bread together in our restaurant-style dining rooms and café.
What services and amenities are available to residents?
Many older, active adults choose to move to independent living to take advantage of the activities, amenities, events and services that have been designed to help them age well and live well. At Charles E. Smith Life Communities, our residents enjoy:
- An award-winning lifestyle and leisure programming filled with opportunities for wellness, creative engagement, music and more
- Special programming such as cooking lessons, music performances, academic lectures, dance lessons, exercise classes, new and classic movies, and more
- A 24-hour concierge to help our residents design the perfect night out or excursion
- Weekly housekeeping services
- A state-of-the-art fitness center
- A grab-and-go cafe, beautiful patio, and a community garden
- And so much more!
What continuum of care is available on campus?
Although you may be a healthy senior with many active years ahead of you, older adults often desire a senior living community that has different levels of care services available on campus. Having options like assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and rehabilitation available provides peace of mind, because you know you won’t have to move away to get the care you need and deserve.
Charles E. Smith Life Communities offers six unique living residences that provide a wide range of care and services.
- Our independent living residences, Ring House and Revitz House, provide a carefree lifestyle to active seniors who want to regain their own time to do the things they love to do
- Landow House provides assisted living residents with personal, dignified care that helps them with the activities of daily life they require assistance with, allowing them the independence to pursue a meaningful lifestyle.
- Dedicated memory care services in both Landow House and Cohen-Rosen house offer a specially designed, meaningful lifestyle for individuals living with memory issues such as Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Residents who require skilled nursing or rehabilitation services can heal in comfort at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington or the Warren R. Slavin Post-Acute Care Center.
Discover the independent living experience you deserve and desire at Charles E. Smith Life Communities.
Charles E. Smith Life Communities’ network of residences has been providing an active, vibrant and fulfilling lifestyle for older adults since 1910. We offer independent living and a full suite of care services, including assisted living, memory care, post-acute care and long-term care.
Learn more about how Charles E. Smith Life Communities helps residents stay active and engaged with our independent living options today.